- Economy and Jobs
- America is the greatest example of free enterprise resulting in wealth creation and individual economic benefit in the history of the world. But today government spending is sucking the oxygen out of the economy. Until it is brought under control and dramatically reduced, the standard of living Americans have come to enjoy as a way of life will continue to diminish. No variety of “prosperity” has ever been built on debt. Until Americans discipline themselves and their government off this addiction and “live within our means”, we will continue to struggle economically, ultimately losing our personal and national freedoms. I support an immediate cut in the payroll tax for all businesses accompanied by cuts in spending in government entitlement programs including slowing down the rates of growth in Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. I support the transitioning to a national currency backed with some form of intrinsic value so the federal government cannot continue to print money without restraint and create inflation. I also support a balanced budget amendment to the federal constitution.
- Re-Creating Educational Excellence
- When it comes to education I am for choice. I support public policies providing opportunities with educational excellence among the broadest number of children possible. Parents are the most highly motivated participants in education and they must be given as many choices as possible in seeking the best for their children. This means removing the monopoly of public education and creating a level playing field for them with the use of their taxpayer money. With the establishment of common equivalency outcome metrics, parents must be allowed to choose among educational alternatives from public and charter schools to home schooling. Teachers should be financially rewarded in an environment that acknowledges outstanding individual performance, not treated as a collective. The role of government in education is ensuring a “level playing field” with commonly understood results based outcomes and rules for all participants. The best must be allowed to rise to the top – parents, educators, and children.
- Today Americans are paying the highest taxes in the nation’s history. Hawaii has long been known as a state with one of the highest tax burdens both for businesses and individuals. That is why I have signed the Americans for Tax Reform.
I have proudly served as a captain in the United States Army. I have extensive experience in the financial business and as a farmer in Hawaii. I have served the families of our State of Hawaii as a State Representative for three terms.
In 2010, just two weeks before the election when I was running against Senator Daniel Inouye, our support surged erasing almost two-thirds of the lead off the entrenched incumbent Senator. The Rasmussen/ Public Opinion Strategies Poll showed me winning independent voters and showing stronger support among Republican voters than Inouye did among Democrats. Now I am running for the unexpired six year term left vacant by the passing of Senator Inouye.
It’s our time together for us to help bring our Hawaii and the United States of America forward to a time of prosperity and to family values and away from this time of financial and moral recession.
Many of our children are moving away to the mainland because they can not find well paying jobs. Housing, food, electricity and gas cost too much here. We can change this.
With your help I can bring in high-tech companies like they did in the Philippines, Israel, and India. All the local people prospered as they got great jobs. We can do this for your children and your grandchildren. We can do it together as you help and partner with me in getting the word out, campaigning, donating, and voting.
- Environmental Stewardship
- I am a “constitutional conservative” in my commitment to carefully steward the environment which includes the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the oceans and lands we depend upon for our human sustenance. Only with diligent care will we continue to enjoy the produce of these “ecological gardens”. I support common sense free market development of all natural resources in a manner that values long term consequences over short term benefits. I believe that environmental abuses are best solved through legal means at state and local levels, not by “one size fits all” legislation from Washington. A person’s property should not be seized without proper compensation, even when the best interests of the general population are considered. I oppose national taxes of any kind on energy or mining activities upon which our economy is dependent. I deplore recent conclusions by international government entities based upon political agendas rather than scientifically verifiable evidence.
- Energy For The 21st Century
- I believe the earth, oceans, and sky have an amazing capacity to continue to provide for the energy needs of this century through the wise and prudent application of continuing innovations in technology. I support diversification of energy development technologies for reasons of economic growth, environmental protection, and national defense. I support free market economic principles reflecting sound business practices as the best way to provide for our energy needs, not political agendas or federal mandates. Energy public policy decision making must include proven economic feasibility, environmental impacts, and recognition that energy requirements vary greatly depending upon the application, e.g., transportation, home heating, power grid generation, etc., and include state level participation. I support energy development that reduces our dependence on foreign oil and I oppose cap and trade (“tax”) legislation because of its false premise of global warming as well as the financial burden it places on our economy.